Early Benefactors

Sir Daniel Cooper donated the land upon which Our Lady of Mount Carmel is built dated 25th February 1858. The land was part of the Lachlan Hill Estate which was granted to Sir Daniel by Governor Macquarie.

Joseph Graham O'Connor, known as JG, raised large sums of money for the Church in Wagga, Temora, Broadway, St Mary's Cathedral and in 1859 raised 800 pounds towards the building of Mount Carmel Church.

The Schimel family lived in Wellington St. For seventy years, they contributed to the church, especially the Mount Carmel Choir which was regarded as the best in the Archdiocese of Sydney at the time and the St Vincent de Paul Society. They assisted with the decoration of the church (see above) which includes the Statue of St Michael, which was given in memory of John Schimel and that of St Francis Xavier, donated in memory of Mrs Schimel.

John Schneider worked tirelessly in church organisations around the turn of the century.

Tom Quinn was the sacristan for about fifty years. He became known as 'Old Tom'.

Eileen O'Connor had a fall when she was three around 1896. The accident shattered her spine and left her with little use of legs. Her family moved to Telopea St and while most of her schooling was at the Sisters of Mercy School, Pymble, she did some schooling at Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Despite her physical disabilities, she went on to found the Religious Institute of Our Lady's Nurses for the Poor (OLN or The Brown Nurses).